GoPro Hero5 Black Voice Control Fixture Finished!

As you may have seen if you’ve been following along here or on YouTube, I recently made a new fixture for my GoPro Hero5. The idea behind this is that it can use an audio signal controlled by an Arduino Nano to trigger the Hero5. Originally it didn’t work very well, but after some revisions outlined in the video below, it worked quite well “in the lab,” AKA my garage.

It’s sort of downplayed in the video, but once I took it to the beach, with its inherent wind and noise, things didn’t perform quite as well as I’d hoped. The device would often miss the “GoPro take a photo command.” Although frustrating, I was able to get it to take several panorama sequences, and stitched them together using Photoshop Elements (Amazon)*.

Here’s one I though twas pretty great. On the left side is the other end of the bench, the device is resting on, so I was able to get a roughly 180 degree view of everything automatically. I’m using this as my background on a dual-monitor setup, and I’m pretty impressed with how it looks that way!

Dunedin causeway panoramaI gave a very short summary of the initial build in the video embedded here, but if you’d like to see what went into the prototype, check out this post. Also, the title says “finished,” but is something like this ever really finished? In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that I could put even more holes on the top, or perhaps adapt it to work with my DSLR…Finished seems to be a relative term!

*I’m using PSE 13; 15 is linked there. Hopefully it’s even better.

How to Modify a Servo for Continuous Rotation

modify a servo for continuous rotation

As part of my voice panning fixture—which I’ve been working on and hope to show off a completed version very soon—I had to modify a hobby servo for continuous rotation. This is not a new technique, but it’s something I’ve been putting off learning how to do for quite some time. I was surprised at how simple it was, and after modifying the servo I had for the project, bought another model and made a video of the process.

As seen in the video, doing this mod involved taking out the potentiometer and replacing it with two resistors, basically tricking it into thinking it still needs to move to reach its position. Also, you have to cut out a piece of one of the gears that physically interferes with it moving 360 degrees. Somehow I lost the video where I used a Dremel on it, but at least I had the part where I finished in with a file.

Wired Potentiometer

The first servo that I modded had wires going to the potentiometer, rather than it being attached directly. As seen in the gallery below, Read more »

Wooden Warrior Dart Holder Reproduced Manually

As I put a lot of stuff out here, it’s always interesting to hear when someone has taken one of my designs and put his or her own spin on it. As outlined in the first post on the “wooden warrior,” my build was actually a spin on a knife holder by the creator of ESTLCAM, so when southeastern Michigan resident Ryan Laytart contacted me to say he’d made his own using non-CNC tools, I was naturally quite interested.

His version, actually “versions,” since he made two of these dart holders for a Star Wars marathon party, were made out of 1×6 pine for the warriors, and 1/4 inch plywood (like the original) for the base and shields. Unlike the original, besides using 1×6 pine, they are held together with screws instead of glue. Also the two shields are different, and darts rest in a notch cut inside the upward facing arm.

It took Laytart about 2 1/2 hours to complete these guys (board setup is shown here in time lapse format), which is probably a lot less time than it took me to draw and set everything up on my CNC. If you’ve made some version of a project I’ve done here, I’d love to hear about it. Please get in touch through the comments or via Twitter: @JeremySCook!