Category Archives: ROBOTICS

Clear Polycarbonate Strandbeest Assembly (Part 1)

For the past month or so (past few months really, I’ve been working on yet another Strandbeest, this time made with clear polycarbonate material. Even though I had the material cut outside, it has still taken a ton of work to get it together, opening up holes as needed and other small modifications.

Either way, I finally got it to a point where it can turn (some of) its legs while supported and stand on the floor on its own. I’m excited to see where this ‘beest will go, and I’m planning to use a Bluetooth remote control scheme, and add a head and “tail” to it as discussed in the video seen below.

Though I hope you find the video interesting, be sure to check back or subscribe on YouTube, as the next one should show it in action, walking with two more appendages and lighting under external control! Or at least that’s what I’m planning…Also, I’m not quite set on the name yet. I’m thinking “Clear Beast,” though if you have a better idea, let me know in the comments!

A DIY Red Robot Costume

img_6169-cropenhSo now that I have kids, one who can walk around quite well, I needed to procure a Halloween costume. The easy solution would be to buy something from one of 100 stores, but he mentioned that he wanted a “red robot.” Given my background, I obviously felt the need to instead make one for him.

Fortunately, he mentioned this months ahead of time, so I started keeping cardboard boxes in anticipation of eventually turning them into his desired robot costume. The results can be seen in the video below:

Overall, I was quite happy with how it turned out. My son loved it, and started talking in “beeps,” “boops,” and a robot voice, until he decided that he wanted to go on a slide and needed a better ability to walk around. At $15 or so in paint, and a bunch of recycled cardboard and electronic components that I had around my garage, it wasn’t expensive to build, but I doubt I saved any money over buying something at the store, especially if I was charging for my time. However, it was lots of fun to make, and it seemed like other people that we saw liked it as well.

On the other hand, Read more »

Maker Faire Orlando 2016 Display

2016-10-22-07-49-31-enh-cropSo I just want to say a big “Thank You” to all the people that came by my table this weekend in Orlando. The event was a lot of fun, and I got to meet some really cool people! Some highlights people-wise included:

  • Was awesome to meet people I had worked with in one way or another, but had never met, including Caleb Kraft (Make:), Richard Wardlow (Circuits for Fun), and Tim Giles (Wild Circuits).
  • People I’d seen before, like the Tampa Hackerspace crew, and David & Kelly Schlitter from MakerPipe.
  • A little girl came by and gave me a ticket to say that my booth was her favorite. That was really nice, especially since I had no idea that we were supposed to be collecting them!
  • Several members of my family showed up, which was a long drive for all of them, so a big “thanks” to all of them!
  • I gave away all my magnets and stickers, so I’d consider that a “people” success as well!

Of Course the Big Feature of My Booth was the StrandMaus (Garage Video Below):

Ironically, I got no footage of this little guy while I was there, but a lot of people decided to video it with their phones and cameras. I told a few people, but it will hopefully be a pleasant surprise when they see it in the next issue of Make: Magazine. If you do have a clip of it on YouTube or wherever, please do let me know, I’d love to check it out!

That being said, with all the attention it got, I keep going back to the idea that I could again try a larger version of it. Perhaps twice the size of the little StrandMaus, or even much larger if there’s some interest in using it for events and the like. Who knows. With what I’ve learned over the last few years building these, I’d have a much better idea of what I’m getting into!

So, above all, thanks for stopping by! If I did meet you in Orlando, please feel free to get in touch via the comments below, or on Twitter @JeremySCook!

On another note, Read more »