Category Archives: RANDOM

Hank Drum Tuned to D Minor Pentatonic Scale

P1020697aIn early 2013 I made something called a “Hank Drum,” a sort cheap derivative of the Hang. I’m happy to note that reader Gary Van Arkel decided to not only build one of these drums based on my plans, but tuned it to a D Minor Pentatonic Scale, and shared the dimensions via a comment. After a short email exchange, he even provided me with pictures, including the sticks he uses, made with 1 3/8″ rubber balls on 5/16″ dowels. So wtithout further ado, here are the dimensions:

D Minor Pentatonic Scale Tongue dimensions:

  • 1 D3 147 2″ 10cm
  • 2 F3 175 2″ 9cm
  • 3 G3 196 2″ 8.5cm
  • 4 A3 220 2″ 8cm
  • 5 C4 262 1.5″ 7.5cm
  • 6 D4 294 1.5″ 7cm
  • 7 F4 349 1.5″ 6.5cm
  • 8 A4 440 1.5″ 5.5cm

More Build Details:

  • Cylinder used was Australian 4.5Kg gas cylinder.
  • Reduced inner circle circumference to 3.5″ and outer circle circumference to 5.5.″
  • Used Masking tape to mark the larger 2″ tongues, and a 1.5″ width business card to mark the smaller tongues.
  • Started cuts to 1/8″ holes with .89mm cutting disc which fitted my Ryobi angle grinder.
  • Extended cuts with jigsaw and tuned with hand hacksaw blade.
  • Tuned to my Tablet from an app named Best Tuner.

Reducing the circumferences seems like one of the most important notes here, as this may help spacing when being played. It should also allow for deeper notes without cutting the sides too much. Just remember, as in the first Hank Drum post, be sure use an empty and never-filled tank!

Thanks Gary!

Disassembly of a Broken Sub-$50 Android Tablet

ChromoI recently purchased a “Chromo” Android tablet for another project for less than $50 on Amazon. I was pretty excited when it arrived as it was nicely packaged, and looked like it could be useful for at least displaying saved videos for my son on car trips.

Besides, according to the description, it’s supposed to sell for $169.99 – a huge savings!

Initial Problems

When I initially turned this unit on, a program called “speed booster” or something similar popped up. Stupidly, I allowed it to activate, and it immediately asked for a huge amount of permissions. Not wanting my information sent directly to China (or wherever) I deactivated it (I think).

I then went on to install music streaming software that I needed, which sort of booted up, but never worked quite correctly. Even browsing web pages was painfully slow. I set it aside until I had an idea to use it as a viewer for my GoPro cameras (my current favorite – Hero4 Session on Amazon).

More Problems (and More Fun)

Unfortunately, when I tried to install the GoPro software, the screen made a strange noise with strange colors. After cycling the power, as seen below, it still did the same thing. Kind of interesting, though this tablet was now pretty much useless unless I wanted to use it as some sort of Cyberpunk prop:


On the other hand, it’s usually interesting Read more »

Metal Bed Frame Child Protector from Scraps

2015-11-08 19.04.08

If you have a bed, most likely it has some sort of frame that it sits on. Why society has decided this is the right way to do things, rather than simply putting mattresses on the floor is anyone’s guess (or a simple search I’m sure). My guess is that it’s to deter bugs or other pests from crawling into bed with you.

Our bed sits on a metal frame that formerly had plastic covers on it to protect the sharp edges. At some point one of these covers fell off and was forgotten about until a toddler (AKA, my son) started bouncing around in our house. Although covered by a useless invention called a “dust ruffle,” it seemed like something he would eventually run into if not child-proofed.

So, using my new SKIL bandsaw (Amazon) (so useful for little stuff – it really should have been one of my first tools) I cut up a plastic container, melted it with a propane torch, and attached it to the bed with a zip-tie after poking a hole in it with my Leatherman knife. Pretty simple, but I’m generally happy with the results. Check out the slideshow below to see how it was made: Read more »