Not quite a sphere, but getting there…
A week or so ago I saw this video about making wooden balls without (advanced) tools. Apparently the video said that it was possible (I didn’t watch the whole thing), but I decided to try scraping the wood with a hole saw instead of the custom cut piece of pipe that the video uses. My original results were quite marginal, as shown below, and my hands were cut up as I hadn’t used gloves originally. It seems power tools are the way to go with this one.
Unfinished hand technique, 2 balls on left, sanded milling machine method, ball on right
I also tried doing this on my milling machine with a hole saw. My thinking was that if I were to cut less than half way through a piece of wood, and progressively rotate it, the cuts would be like that of a constant-diameter Nautilus shell. The edges could then be broken off and sanded, making for a perfect(ish) sphere. This worked better, but sanding everything was quite tiring, and the sphere was never quite what I wanted. The video below shows the process used:
Fortunately, I saw another ingenious method Read more »
While building up my single speed bike, one thing that I was missing was new grips for my handlebar. Although I could have ordered some, there’s not really a local bike shop that is close to me. Instead, I decided to cut down some blank pieces of wood and make my own.
I had blanks left over from some of my lathe projects, and Read more »
I may be several years late to the single speed mountain bike craze, but after biding my time and getting some really good deals on the components that I needed, it was time to build up my single speed bike.
As seen in the video, my first task with this was to strip off everything that wasn’t needed. This included the shifter assemblies, as well as a lot of random accessories a former owner had added to the bike. Besides this, it had a really cushy seat which seemed ripe for modification. I cut the gel padding off of the seat, then sanded it down to reduce some of the “pips” that were sticking up. It was then spray-painted with a bed liner material (this kind – Amazon). Unfortunately, I didn’t let it dry for the recommended amount of time so it started to come off. I’ll probably put another coat on when I get a chance and allow it to dry more thoroughly.
During this build, there were two items that I initially didn’t have: Read more »
One of the benefits of being married is that I now have knowledge of a whole range of implements that were previously entirely foreign to me. Although some might claim that for me these included sponges or cleaning products other than Greased Lightning*, today I’m referring to napkin holders.
After observing the little wooden plant pots that I made, as well as my (nearly identical) pencil holder, my wife suggested that “napkin holders” could be made in a similar way. After procrastinating for a while, I decided to give it a try.
Taking a piece of wood that I slaughtered from my backyard several months ago, I cut it into pieces around one and a quarter inches long with my miter saw. From here, I drilled a one and a half inch hole in the middle of the pieces using my small mill/drill press. This turned out to be slightly too small, so it was made larger with a 1 3/4 inch hole saw. See below for lots of process pictures: Read more »
Cleaning up my garage this weekend, I realized that I didn’t have a good place to keep my pens and pencils. Fortunately, I have a lathe, a 1 1/2 inch paddle bit, and a small tree trunk already pre-turned to a good size to keep everything in.
If you’ve been following along with my projects, you probably remember something quite similar where I made tiny vases or pots for small plants out of wood. This was obviously very similar. The differences were that I used a eurethane/stain combo to finish the piece (Minwax Satin Polyshades “Chestnut” available from Amazon, or likely from a local hardware store), and sanded it down better after rough-cutting it with my South Bend lathe. The piece was then setup on a milling machine the paddle bit was used to form the pen/pencil cavity.
The paddle bit operation could have been done on a lathe, but I don’t have the proper chuck setup for it. This wood vase is a simple project, but it’s nice to be able to say “I don’t have anywhere to put this,” then just make something yourself.