Summary: Mechanical Engineer with 10 years factory automation experience.
Education: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina – 2004
GPA 3.09/4.00 Passed FE examination
Freelance Writer – Various Publications 2011 – Present
- Writer for technical online and print publications
- Howto and personal interview articles for Wired UK magazine
- Contributor to Popular Science magazine
- Contributor to Hackaday.com and EETimes.com
Manufacturing Engineer – Reliable Sprinkler 2012 – 2016
- Engineer over automated production line for fire protection industry
- In charge of lines that produced over half of factory’s throughput.
- Supported day-to-day line issues and set up spare parts.
- Designed and modified machinery to assist with production and quality problems.
- Involved in various problem-solving teams.
Manufacturing Engineer – Itron 2010 – 2012
- Member of engineering team over electrical meter assembly
- Worked with the assembly of cutting edge Smart Grid electrical metering technology.
- Designed and setup machinery for the successful launch of several new product lines while maintaining very tight deadlines.
- Worked with test engineering staff to effectively implement projects and manufacturing support.
- Utilized systematic problem solving techniques to improve production line yields.
Project Engineer – Timken 2004 – 2009
- In charge of assembly engineering including: tooling design, day-to-day support, and automated machinery design.
- Designed and built eleven production machines including: mechanical design, safety systems, wiring, pneumatics, PLC programming, and vision system programming.
- Capital improvement projects implemented in 2008 were scheduled to save $215,000 per year.
- Effectively trained and lead team members in machine design and everyday manufacturing support.
- Implemented an efficient system for tracking and ordering spare tooling automatically. Implemented on over 125 part numbers.
- Learned to effectively work and communicate with managers and internal and external customers in an ISO 9001 environment.
Engineering Co-op – Timken 2002 – 2003
- Designed and constructed an assembly machine, including: ordering parts, machining, wiring, assembly and detail drawings, programming, and final implementation and troubleshooting.
- Learned to use machine tools such as grinders, lathes, and milling machines. Also used acetylene, tig, and mig welders.
- Acquired hands on experience in wiring and pneumatics.