As with several other projects, my cousin Jackson – a musician – came over with the goal of producing an instrument – this time out of PVC pipe. As with our other experiments, we had a vague plan as to how to make what we wanted, but changes were made on the fly. More explanation to follow, but here’s the results of this “percussive pipe organ.”
That’s Jackson trying it out on the first day with sandals. With some practice, I’m sure he’ll be able to make some really cool tunes. Be sure to check out the time-lapse video of the build after the “read more,” as quite a bit more detail on the build.
So there it is in just a few minutes. I cut out more than that where we were just talking about how we should build it. It’s probably entertaining for us, but with that the video was around 8:00. Knowing my Youtube habits, it’s hard to believe many people would watch that. 3:30 or whatever is probably pushing it anyway.
As for materials, the frame is built out of 2×6 pieces of lumber, and the clamping section is two 2x4s. These are held together by 3 3/8 inch carriage bolts. The original plan is seen below, but as you can probably tell, a few things have changed.
We first tried bare hands to play this instrument, but after some experimentation found that a pair of sandals worked quite well! I finally made a few strikers using a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and some rubber pieces that I had lying around. Ping Pong paddles seem like they would also work well, but I didn’t have any at the time.
Although this instrument sounds pretty good now (my playing has gotten better), I can’t help but think that the tightened 2x4s that keep the pipe stationary might be changing the acoustics. Maybe for the next version (if there is one), I can instead use a few pieces of cut coupling to hold it up, with another 2×6 with holes in it in the middle. If nothing else, the design would be simplified.
Finally, if anyone wonders whether this is a fun instrument to play, check out this picture of my father-in-law and I drumming out a duet!
Edit 5/23/2015: Check out this article that I wrote for Wired UK for more dimensions and step-by-step build instructions.