While taking stuff apart (especially hard drives), it was becoming evident that I didn’t have a set of precision Torx bits. After a less than stellar experience with a precision screwdriver set from the local hardware store (they did take it back with no hesitation), I decided that I needed some quality bits, even if I had to pay for them.
I ended up buying a Wiha 76990 screwdriver set off of Amazon. The set comes with a great set of hex bits (metric and standard), Torx bits, and just about every small Phillips and Flat-head bit that you will ever need. I don’t plan to buy another small screwdriver for quite a while. I also bought a Wiha magnetizing/demagnetizing block (also from Amazon) that is quite useful when you want a screw to really stick to your driver.
The normal handle as well as the extension hold the bits very well, and it was quite useful in my first application, putting together an elliptical machine. Some of the screws were on the large side, so I used another driver for those, but the set is meant to be used with small precision work. The extension helped immensely, and the small body and rotating base end allows for a high turning speed if you don’t need a lot of torque. If you really want to torque something down, another screwdriver might be appropriate, but for fine work, this driver is great. For more pics of the 75990 set, see the photos after the break.
This driver set is on the expensive side at just under $50 from Amazon, but the build quality is definitely there. After a broken $15 driver, it seemed like a good idea to invest in something that would last a while. The case is good, but to be fair, one of the pockets seemed to have some extra material looped over where it shouldn’t have been. After some more use, I noticed that when using the extension, the bit didn’t always seem perfectly concentric. Neither was a huge deal, but when you’re paying $50, you expect perfection. I’m happy with my purchase, but these things could be improved.
As for how the Torx bits worked disassembling a hard drive, I used an included “T8” bit to disassemble a Maxtor HDD that I had in my scrap pile (for clock engraving). It worked flawlessly, and was much cleaner than using a drill and “EZ-out” bit like I did before. It is nice to have the right tool for the job!