Make an ATHF “Err” Mosaic

So an Aqua Teen Hunger Force Mooninite mosaic will probably not appeal to 99% of the general internet.  However, if you find this blog appealing, I’d be willing to bet that only 80% of those reading will have no idea what an “Err” is.  Without further ado, here is my “Err” Mosaic:

ATHF Err Mosiaic MooniniteSo that’s what the final result looks like.  I happened to walk by a TV that had something about mosaics on it, and thought it looks worth trying.  If you’d like to see how this was done, read on:

err mosaic designStep 1 was the idea.  This particular show that I saw had some company making mosaics and one looked like a Space Invaders monster.  Naturally, making something like this appealed to me (See the MAME controller that I made).  I initially designed this using this “make a mosaic” tool online, coming up with the design you see on the right.

After a quick trip to Hobby Lobby and Lowes as well as rummaging around in my tools, I had the necessary items for the job.  These consisted of: mural tiles, a cheap canvas, masking tape, spray paint, and some glue (some sort of fabric glue).  And that was pretty much it.  A small ruler helped keep everything in line.

err in tilesI then laid it out in actual tiles as seen to the right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

err gimp previewThe colors weren’t quite right, so I took a picture and edited the colors with GIMP.  It was pretty rough, and I didn’t even color the eyes and mouth correctly, but it gave me a quick preview of what it would look like when finished.

 

 

I then taped off the middle, leaving some overlap under the pink tiles.  I then spray painted everything.  I probably should have taped everything outside, or none, but maybe next time.  The fluorescent pink worked very nicely for this.

 

 

Err taped for grey

 

After this, the middle was taped and two coats of light grey spray paint was added to the outside (not green as I originally thought).

 

 

 

TILE_LINEUP_MARKED

All the tape was then removed.  Everything was then lined up to check the design.  I was somehow a bit short on the right side so a “pixel” was removed from the arm.  After this everything was lined up using a small ruler and pasted using fabric glue. That’s pretty much it for now.  I do have one other thing I plan to do with this, and for that matter may make an Ignignokt. These things tend to never be totally finished, they just move on to the next stage in their development.

For now though,this mural is definitely “The new Moon record!”  For another crazy art form, check out how to make a bleach T-shirt!

Err mosaic on wall

“on the moon nerds get their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks!”


 

  1. Making an AT-ST Stencil with a CNC machine | JCOPRO.NET - pingback on January 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm
  2. Death of Err | JCOPRO.NET - pingback on May 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm
  3. More "Pixel Machining" AKA Halftoning Experiments - pingback on April 10, 2013 at 9:46 am
  4. Little-known AutoCAD Tricks - pingback on April 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Leave a Comment

NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Trackbacks and Pingbacks: