So I’ve gone over the mechanical design of the bolt mechanism as well as the pneumatics involved. However, I didn’t really go over putting everything together. This device was actually constructed a few years ago and sat around in my garage since then. It’s been a very popular post so far, so I’m glad I dug it up.
Before recently, all the components just sat around together and were fired that way. To make it really work, I needed some sort of stock to hold everything together. After some thought, I used a 9 inch piece of 2 x 4 drilled out with hole saws to accommodate the different sizes of pipe. I also cut a hole in the side to allow for better gripping.
Besides the grip hole, there are two “functional” holes. One is a single hole just larger than the 2″ PVC air reservoir. I had to use some tape to make the pipe larger as I couldn’t find a good fit with my hole saw. The other hole is actually two holes cut side-by-side for the 1″ pVC parts. They’re close enough that they break through and actually sit on each other.
To secure everything, I used some wood screws as set screws. I didn’t tighten down that much and used so as not to weaken the PVC at that point. I used tape to get one of the chambers a little tighter, and from a not-penetrating the PVC standpoint, probably should have used it on all of them. If the screws are tightened too much, it could be a danger. Be very cautious with this.
All that being said, PVC isn’t rated for air pressure, so it’s potentially dangerous. If you’re going to do anything like this (not that I recommend it), at least use some PPE, or personal protective equipment like safety glasses, gloves, etc.
[ad#Google Adsense-text leaderboard wide not home]