ENV2 Camera Phone Mount

Update 1/25/2011 – I’ve now made it tripod-compatible!

If you’re one of the 2 to 3 people that read this blog regularly, you might wonder how I take all of the blurry pictures of my projects.  The Answer is with my cell phone.  Or my Env2 “feature phone”, whatever that means.  I do own an actual digital camera, but 2 Megapixels is plenty of detail for the pictures I usually post on this site and my phone is generally with me all the time.

This usually works fine, but when you want to hold a shot really steady or shoot video, especially when you’re working the controls of something yourself, the holding method could be better.  After some marginal success trying to stack random objects to hold my phone steady, I thought of an extremely simple solution.  After several minutes with a saw and milling machine, this is what I came up with:

Not elegant by any means, but for something that can be made in 15 minutes or so, it was really a great solution.  All one needs to do is cut a piece of 2 x4 to 5″.  Then mill a 1/2 inch slot .75 – .8 inches deep 4 inches long including radii (so with a 1/2 inch mill, plunge and traverse 3.5 inches).  Start the cut centered .75 inches from the side and front edge and it should turn out centered with 1/2 inch space in front of it.  Here’s an illustration:

As for video, here’s an example of panning on the flat surface of the top of my toolbox (setup is like the first photo).  You can judge for yourself, but considering the minimal effort I put into this, I’m very pleased with the results:

[ad#Google Adsense-text leaderboard wide not home]

Although the length and possibly thickness of the cut in the wood may have to be adjusted, this technique should work with other phones nicely as well.  For more information taking pictures and video with your Env2, please see this post. Also, check out these stop motion animation videos that I did using this setup.

Leave a comment ?

13 Comments.

1. Env2 Picture and Video Taking Guide | - pingback on January 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm
  2. Stop Motion with GIMP, A Milling Machine, and an Env2 | - pingback on January 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm
  3. Stop Motion with GIMP, A Milling Machine, and an Env2 x | - pingback on January 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm
  4. ENV2 Camera Phone TRIPOD mount | - pingback on January 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm
  5. Nicely done. It’s always good when you can come up with your own solutions to these kind of problems. It’s usually either that or, you fork out a small fortune on something produced by the manufacturer or, at the end of the scale; buy something cheap that isn’t up to the job.

I’ve also seen people produce ‘charging stations’ for their iPods in a similar fashion – ie. a block of attractive wood with a recess for the player in the middle.

Olly.

6. Thanks Olly – it gets the job done, but it’s definitely basic. Funny, I have no idea if something like this is done by the manufacturer; I just had the idea for it one day and happened to have the materials available!

Glad you liked the post – seems you have a pretty interesting blog yourself!

7. Env2 Picture and Video Taking Guide | - pingback on February 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm
  8. Stop Motion with GIMP, A Milling Machine, and an Env2 | - pingback on February 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm
  9. ENV2 Camera Phone TRIPOD mount | JCOPRO.NET - pingback on February 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm
  10. Old School Update: January 2011 Project Summary - pingback on July 29, 2012 at 10:10 pm
  11. Top Really Cheap Projects to Make from JcoPro.net - pingback on January 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm
  12. Catamaran Wooden Gooseneck Plug Repair - pingback on April 1, 2013 at 9:20 am
  13. Tripod Mount for the Env2 Camera Phone | DIYTripods - pingback on June 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm